Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hot Air Balloon Ride

(Group shot inside the balloon! Me, Katie, Jessica, Kaylene, and Melanie)

This last Thursday (July 15th) I went on a Hot Air Balloon ride. My old roommate Katie and I have been talking about doing this for years and we finally did it! Two of her roommates and a friend of one of her roommates came with us.

We camped the night before in Midway (it's beautiful up there!) and went to meet the balloon people at 6:15 am. They took us in their van to the Heber airport and we got to watch them get everything set up. First they blow air into the balloon with a fan and then attach it to the basket while the basket is laying on it's side. Then they further inflate the balloon with hot air after setting it upright.

We climbed into the basket and were off! It was really cool because you were flat on the ground and they just slowly lifted up. The highest we got (at least the highest the pilot mentioned to us) was 1600 feet. It was a beautiful morning and we didn't have any turbulence. It was so surreal to just be floating in the air and so cool!

I would love to go in another hot air balloon sometime, it was so much fun!

Here are some pictures and videos from my adventure.






This is called milking the balloon, they basically wrestle the air out of the balloon so they can pack it back up.









8 comments:

Laura said...

Long time to see! Remember me? Good ol' Laura Thomas from next door. I saw your link on facebook and have to add that I love blogs!

The hot air balloon ride looks awesome! I'll have to see if I can try that one someday.

Nama said...

How fun! I LOVE your photos of the balloon, too.

Breanne said...

Amazing! But I need a pick of the countryside when you were up in the air!

Jenny and Al said...

It sounds so fun, Bill! Thanks for sharing! I hope I get to do that someday, too.

Em said...

That looks so awesome!! A girl in my singles ward I used to visit teach has a few balloons in her family and would go regularly. I would love to hear about her adventures. I want to go! :)

Broc and Melanie said...

No way! I'm totally jealous!! That is WAY cool :)

Ashley said...

So super cool! Good job for fulfilling a dream! And a very nice looking balloon too--I love the first picture of you all in it.

sethandlacey said...

Seth and I went for a hot air balloon ride for his birthday awhile ago. It was awesome!!!!!! I love your pictures too!!!